Before a standing room only homecoming crowd, the York Institute Dragons scored 47 unanswered points en route to a 47-14 victory over the Cumberland County High School Jets Friday night in Jamestown.

"We couldn't stop them. We didn't prepare for their speed," said CCHS Coach Tony Shultz, whose team fell to 0-7 overall. "I was proud of their second half effort."

On the positive side, the Jets' offense finished the game with 141 total yards (25 rushing on 23 attempts and five of 15 passing for 116 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions).

Bobby Griffin punted seven time for 307 yards or 43.9 per kick.

Travis Whittenburg and Andrew Phipps picked off York passes, while Griffin and Zaq Pearson each blocked a Dragon PAT. Shawn Scott and Kasey Hardy each recovered a fumble.

Griffin was the leading tackler with 13 (eight solos and five assists), while Pearson had nine stops (five solo and four assists).

It just took the Dragons 14 seconds to get on the scoreboard, as Brian VanWormer returned the opening kick 85 yards with 11:46 left. Cody Campbell booted the PAT for the 7-0 lead.

The Jets' first possession ended when York's Adam Tice recovered a Jet fumble at the Jets' eight-yard line. VanWormer would score from the eight to give the Dragons a 13-0 advantage. Campbell booted the PAT for the 14-0 advantage.

Another Jet possession would go three plays and out, giving York the pigskin at their 43. Eight plays later, Cameron Wilson scored from the two for a 20-0 lead, but Griffin blocked the PAT.

Another Jet possession went three plays and out, as a 58-yard Griffin punt pinned the Dragons at their 14. VanWormer capped the 11-play drive with a one-yard run to give the Dragons a 26-0 advantage with 22.7 seconds left in the quarter. Pearson blocked the PAT.

Pearson's 23-yard kickoff return gave the Jets good field position at their 33, but the Dragons held the Jets to three plays and out as the first quarter ended.

Leading tacklers for the Jets were Travis Dawson, Sean McGonagle, Griffin, Cody Vance, Brad Davis, Eric Davis, Chase Wood and Shaun Scott.

YAI's first possession of the second quarter was stopped by Whittenburg's 20-yard interception return, but again the Jets' offense could not get untracked.

A short by Griffin was returned 80 yards for a touchdown by Dakota Jones, but a holding penalty nullified the score with seven minutes left in the half.

The penalty gave the Dragons the ball at their 11, with VanWormer scoring from two yards out to cap the eight-play drive. The PAT was good giving York a 33-0 lead.

CCHS had two more possessions in the second quarter, one went three plays and out, and the other was stopped by a 68-yard interception return by Micah Norman as time ran out in the half. The PAT made it 40-0 at the break.

Top tacklers for the Jets were Griffin, Pearson, Frank Purcell, Whittenburg, Woods, Rusty Arwood, Dawson and Eric Fitzgerald.

The mercy rule was in effect in the second half.

CCHS' first possession was three plays and out, with a 54-yard punt by Griffin pinning the Dragons at their 16. Eight plays later, Jonathan McDonald scored from three plays out for a 46-0 advantage with 3:58 left in the quarter. Brian Reynolds converted the PAT for a 47-0 lead. McDonald also had a 27-yard for the Dragons.

York's first possession of the fourth quarter was stopped, as a Scott recovered a fumble at the Jets' 15-yard line.

Terryl Bowen passed 64 yards to Pearson for a TD to cap the seven-play drive. T.D. Schlafer booted the PAT to slice the lead to 47-7.

Bowen completed two of three passes for 76 yards and carried twice for eight yards.

McDonald returned the ensuing kick 22 yards, with Schlafer making a touchdown-saving tackle.

The touchdown fired up the Jets' defense, as they forced a fumble on the ensuing series by the Dragons. Matthew Slaven was stopped for a six-yard loss by a host of Jets, with Hardy recovering at the York 43.

Three plays later, Bowen hit Whittenburg with a 34-yard scoring strike to slice the deficit to 47-13. Schlafer's PAT made it 47-14.

Campbell recovered the on-side kick as the time expired in the contest.

Leading tacklers for the Jets in the second half were Woods, Vance, Cody Suggs, Griffin, Arwood, Pearson and Schlafer.

The Jets travel to Manchester Friday night o face the Coffee County Red Raiders.

Recommended for you