Wearing her new, hot pink pajamas, she tightly wrapped her arms and legs around her grandmother as she held her outside the emergency room at Cumberland Medical Center. Clutching her grandmother for security, the 6-year-old little girl brushed her light brown hair away from her face and glanced in the reporter's direction.

He was waiting to get a picture of a suspect being taken into custody from the hospital.

The girl looked at him with droopy, reddened eyes. As he gave her a smile and wave with his hand, the little girl flashed a slight smile back at him, then turned and quickly buried her head back in the security of her grandmother's shoulder as she carried her away.

She was doing well considering the horrific events that had taken place Saturday evening in the once peaceful dusk. Only hours earlier, the little girl witnessed her mother and 4-year-old sister being shot to death in a rural Cumberland County church parking lot.

Killed were Kimberly Wyatt, 27, a licensed practical nurse employed at Southeast Tennessee Regional Correction Facility near Pikeville, and her daughter, Sarah Elizabeth Wyatt, 4. The two were shot in the parking lot of Lantana Church of Christ at 7004 Lantana Rd. Kimberly Wyatt lived at 899 Old Grapevine Rd., but was a native of Fentress County.

"One sad, awful thing about the whole situation is that this little girl seen the whole thing. This is something she's going to have with her for the rest of her life," said Cumberland County Sheriff Butch Burgess.

Investigators with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, Cumberland County sheriff's department and district attorney's office are performing an ongoing investigation into the shooting that pierced the normally tranquil, rural community.

As the evening hours began to cool the Cumberland Plateau, the little girl scrambled for safety and watched as her mother and sister were shot in the parking lot of the church.

A small, makeshift memorial with flowers was placed at the site where the two were lying in the church's parking lot on Lantana Rd. The church is about seven miles south of Crossville.

Captured after a 36-mile car chase and charged with two counts of first-degree murder is Houston Foley Lloyd, 48, of 866 Matthew Ct., Kingston Springs. Lloyd, a married father of three, is a registered nurse who works with the Tennessee Department of Corrections at DeBerry Special Needs Unit in Nashville.

The case began shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday evening when Wyatt was shot multiple times in the upper torso and head with a handgun. She was pronounced dead at the scene. According to emergency responders first arriving at the scene, lying near Wyatt was her daughter, Sarah Elizabeth Wyatt, 4. The child was near death after being shot once in the neck.

The 4-year-old was immediately rushed to Cumberland Medical Center and flown by helicopter to the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville, where she died shortly after arrival.

Wyatt's other daughter and an acquaintance who is a prison guard at Southeast Regional Correction Facility witnessed the shooting but were not physically injured. Wyatt and the acquaintance had their two pickup trucks parked parallel, near each other in the church's parking lot and were talking when Lloyd allegedly pulled into the parking lot, circled around and performed the shooting.

A neighbor, who witnessed some of shooting event, declined to speak about the event with anyone but the sheriff's department.

Assistant District Attorney General Gary McKenzie said it is unclear at this point what the relationship between Wyatt and Lloyd was.

Tennessee Department of Corrections spokeswoman Dorinda Carter speculated that Wyatt and Lloyd may have known each other through the department's training academy, which they both attended at the same time.

The prison guard who saw the shooting, and who was not named, is quoted in the arrest-warrant affidavit saying Lloyd said "she would not ruin my life anymore" as he shot Wyatt several times.

The warrant continues stating that after the initial rounds of gunfire, Lloyd stopped and walked away to make a call on his cell phone. As Wyatt crawled under her friend's pickup truck, the warrant states Lloyd returned, grabbed Kimberly Wyatt and dragged her from beneath the truck, placed the gun to her head and shot her "execution style."

Investigators believe the 4-year-old was shot as she exited her mother's pickup in the initial rounds of gunfire.

McKenzie said search warrants for Lloyd's clothing and vehicle and for testing for gunshot residue on his hands were going to be obtained, as well as autopsies on both of the victims.

After the shooting, Lloyd reportedly fled in his black Nissan Altima south on Lantana Rd. Cumberland and Bledsoe county deputies made a 36-mile chase which included circling Taft Youth Center, a Department of Children's Services center for more serious male offenders, before returning to Lantana Rd.

As Lloyd continued on Lantana Rd., driving back toward the shooting scene, near the Cumberland County line, a Bledsoe County deputy's car rammed Lloyd's vehicle after it stopped in the middle of the road suddenly.

Lloyd, who then complained of neck injuries and shortness of breath sustained from the wreck, was taken into custody, handcuffed to a stretcher and transferred by Cumberland County EMS to Cumberland Medical Center.

Sheriff Burgess and investigators waited off and on outside the emergency room pending the release of Lloyd.

Burgess also waited for family members of the victims to arrive at the hospital. Wyatt's 6-year-old daughter was placed in the care of her grandparents.

She was treated with love and care and given several toys and teddy bears and stuffed animals from the House of Hope.

"It won't bring her mother back, but it will help comfort the little girl and that's what that place out there is all about," Burgess said outside the emergency room.

Several nurses and personnel from CMC were visibly shaken and upset as they took breaks outside after working with the fatally wounded child in the emergency room.

"I'm doing better now, but it's something I won't ever forget," said one of the teary-eyed nurses.

After several hours of testing, Lloyd was treated and released from CMC and taken by the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department to the Justice Center where he was booked and held without bond. Investigators did not find a weapon in Lloyd's vehicle.

Several investigators with the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department and Special Agent Tommy Callahan of TBI processed the scene in a solemn, quiet manner at the church parking lot, gathering evidence until after 2 a.m. Sunday.

"It's always difficult in a situation like this for all of us when a child is involved," Burgess said.

Recommended for you