It took a Cumberland County jury only 45 minutes to convict a former county man of raping a 16-year-old girl. Charles Stanley was ordered taken immediately into custody and will find out July 10 at 3 p.m. how much time he will have to serve.

On advice of his attorney, Assistant Public Defender Joe Finley, Stanley did not take the stand and the defense called no witnesses during the one-day trial. Instead, Finley argued in opening and closing remarks that if sexual relations had taken place, it was consensual.

"There is no particular question they had sexual intercourse this day," Finley told the jury. "That explains the DNA. The question is, was there coercion necessary in the element of rape?"

That was in stark contrast to the picture painted by Assistant District Attorney Gary McKenzie who through the victim laid out before the jury how Stanley attacked her twice over the course of an hour and a half, the second time successfully raping her.

The incident took place on Jan. 6, 2003 and only now came to trial "because we just didn't know where he was," according to McKenzie. Stanley did not abscond while awaiting trial, but reportedly moved to Middle Tennessee after the rape and only last week was brought to trial.

The rape took place in the home the victim, her mother, sister and Stanley shared, testimony showed. Stanley had been living with the victim's sister and the pair moved back into the mother's home after moving out of their apartment.

On that day, the mother and sister were at work, leaving Stanley and the victim, who was on Christmas break from school, home alone. The victim was watching television when Stanley sat down beside her. "I noticed he was acting strange and then he kinda got on top of me," the victim testified.

She got away from him and ran into her bedroom where she picked up the telephone to call 911. The call was placed but the phone was snatched out of her hand and hung up. She said the two then struggled as Stanley tried to disrobe her. With Stanley pinning her to the bed, the victim testified he started choking her and she grabbed a water glass from her night stand and broke it against his head.

The first attack stopped and Stanley apologized to the victim, and then went into his room but watched the victim. "He just stared at me. I was scared to call for help and I knew my mom would be coming home soon. I was scared and didn't know what to do," the teen testified.

After about 45 minutes, Stanley came into the living room, grabbed the victim and carried her to her bedroom. She testified that she was standing on her bed trying to keep away from him when Stanley grabbed her ankles, pulled her feet out from under her, pulled her shorts off and raped her.

"It only was a few minutes, but it seemed like a very long time," the teen testified.

The victim grabbed her clothes and dressed, and tried to calm her assailant who she said "had been getting high all day." She said he had gold paint around in nose and mouth, the result of huffing paint.

About 15 or 20 minutes later her mother came home from work, the victim showered, dressed, went to a friend's home and told the friend what had happened. The friend told her mother, who in turned called the victim's mother, and the sheriff's department was called.

Former sheriff's investigator J.B. Wallace responded to the hospital where a rape kit test had been performed on the victim and on Stanley. Wallace testified he took photographs of the crime scene that included the broken glass. He also photographed bruises on the victim's neck and knees. Clothing from both parties were seized and shipped to the state crime lab.

Wallace testified that Stanley never said he had participated in consensual sex with the victim, but did deny raping her. "He said he didn't know what had happened," Wallace testified.

TBI forensic scientist Charles Hardy testified that he studied DNA found in the rape kit test and matched it with that of the victim and of Stanley.

E-911 Director David Hinkle testified that the 911 dispatch center did receive a call from the residence but that the line was dead when the operator answered.

Rachel Patton, a nurse at Cumberland Medical Center, testified that she attended to the victim and noticed bruises on her. Nurse Ricky Roysdon testified he attended to Stanley and that the defendant denied knowing of any sexual assault on the victim. He also noticed scratches and abrasions on the Stanley's back and shoulder.

Following the verdict, McKenzie asked that the defendant be taken into custody, citing the seriousness of the crime and the fact that Stanley had 10 previous misdemeanor convictions, including at least four assault on a police officer charges.

Finley argued that the defendant had never missed a court date and has not had any new charges filed against him since the 2003 incident and should be allowed to remain on bond.

"We don't know that," McKenzie countered. "We don't know what he has done because he has been out of our jurisdiction."

"In light of there going to be some time to serve," Judge Leon Burns said, "might as well start serving it now."

Stanley, who faces eight to 12 years in prison, could receive a split sentence, depending on the outcome of the sentencing hearing in July.

Recommended for you