One person was taken to the hospital for examination after fire severely damaged the kitchen in the Lake Tansi Village home she shares with her mother and grandmother.

The fire broke out around 8 p.m. Saturday night at the home of Francis Inez Goodwin on Cherokee Trail. Goodwin and her daughter, Joy Schienost, and granddaughter, Bernadette, were able to escape from the house but Bernadette suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Cumberland Medical Center by ambulance as a precaution.

Cumberland County Fire Department Assistant Chief John Hall reported that a volunteer lived nearby and was able to use a garden hose on the fire until the fire department arrived. "He did a good job and just about had it blacked out by the time we arrived on the scene," Hall said.

The two-story house suffered a lot of smoke damage but fire damage was kept to the kitchen, where the fire started.

American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist the family with emergency lodging.

Recommended for you