As the recording played, Forrest Lee Brewer, who was wearing black dress pants, a white dress shirt, black dress shoes and a charcoal gray suit coat, leaned his head back frequently and held back tears. It was apparent the recording was difficult for Brewer to hear. Many others, including jurors, sat in the courtroom, silent, anticipating what would happen next on the tape. The recording being played was a taped 911 conversation between dispatchers and Brewer on the morning of Feb. 14, 2005. The morning he shot Cumberland County Sheriff's Deputy Cpl. James Scott.

At the end of the trial, Brewer was found not guilty by reason of insanity to attempt to commit second-degree murder. The five-man, seven-woman jury returned the verdict in less than 30 minutes Thursday evening at the Justice Center.

Brewer was charged with shooting Scott through his bedroom door as he attempted to enter Brewer's bedroom. Scott was one of two deputies responding to a call of a possible prowler at Brewer's home, later learning that Brewer had accidentally shot himself in the leg. The shooting happened on a cold, drizzly Valentine's Day morning in 2005.

The deputies said they did not expect any violence at Brewer's home. They were going there to help him.

It was only a few minutes after Scott and Tinch arrived that what the two didn't expect became reality.

"I hollered, 'you shot me,' and he said, 'It wasn't me. I don't even have a gun,'" Cpl. James Scott testified. Scott said he never even saw Brewer that night. As he went to Brewer's bedroom door and reached for the handle, he heard the shots ring out. He turned to his right and made his way into another room, then slowly made his way out of the house. Tinch radioed for help and reported an officer down.

"I knew I was hit in the arm because I couldn't move it," Scott testified.

Brewer, 45, of 1510 Claysville Rd. remains in custody for the shooting incident in which he shot Scott in the chest and in the arm.

A bullet-proof vest is credited for saving Scott's life. The bullet exited Scott through his upper chest. He has since recovered and returned to his duties with the sheriff's department, but does not quite have full mobility of his left arm.

It wasn't the first time Scott had been to Brewer's home.

Two days before on Feb. 12, Scott and Sheriff's Deputy Richard Tinch went to Brewer's home to do a welfare check on Brewer after a family member out of state requested he be checked on.

"He was talking out of his head ... one minute he'd be fine, the next, talking religious ... he requested an ambulance because he had been sick for a few days ... We talked him into going to the hospital to be checked out," Scott said.

Brewer was checked out at Cumberland Medical Center and was told his blood sugar was 170. After five hours, Brewer was released later in the day from the hospital to go home with a family friend. The night of Feb. 12, Brewer spent the night with family friends in Lake Tansi.

Brewer's friend, Joyce Gleason, made a written statement to Special Agent Tommy Callahan of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. She said Brewer was hearing noises, the telephone ringing when it wasn't and was up all night long, pacing. The next day, Feb. 13, Brewer went home to sleep and the Gleasons went out of town for the day.

When the Gleasons returned and heard about the shooting they were shocked, the statement said. Anyone who knows Forrest Brewer knows it was way out of character, Gleason said in her statement. Brewer had done yard work for her and others in Lake Tansi for about four years.

Brewer, who was charged with attempted first-degree murder and a lesser count of attempted second degree murder, entered a not guilty by reason of insanity plea through his attorney, Larry Warner. Brewer did not testify.

"This case is unlike any other case I've had in my career. It's not a case of arguing issues. The facts are not disputed. It's a case of deciding temporary insanity ... It's a very rare case and you'll hear experts testify to support insanity. These state experts will be called by the defense," said Assistant District Attorney General Gary McKenzie told jurors during his opening statement.

"It's very unusual for the defense to use the state's doctors for a psychiatric evaluation," he added.

Warner agreed during his opening, "The facts here are not in dispute. The integrity of the state's witnesses is not at stake here," Brewer's attorney, Larry Warner said.

The prosecution called four witnesses, Cumberland County Sheriff's Deputy Cpl. James Scott, Cumberland County Sheriff's Deputy Richard Tinch, Special Agent Tommy Callahan of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, and Cumberland County Sheriff's Department Investigator Scott Griffin.

The defense called two witness to testify, Dr. Rokeya S. Farooque and Dr. Sam Craddock, both of Middle Tennessee Mental Health Institute.

The case began when Brewer called 911 to report a possible prowler at his home at 1510 Claysville Rd. The call was placed around 4:30 a.m.

A key piece of evidence in the case was the recording of the 911 phone call on the morning of the shooting. According to the 911 tape recording played in the courtroom, Brewer tells the dispatcher, "The dogs are going crazy out there ... I'm scared ... I'm hiding in my bedroom." The two talk for a little bit and Brewer sounds frantic. Then, a pop is heard on the recording and Brewer screams.

"I'm shot, I dropped my gun ... I'm shot in my leg ... maybe they shot me through the door."

The dispatcher asks him if he has a towel or something to wrap around his leg. Brewer says he has one and has something to put on his leg.

"They're out there — should I shoot at them?" Brewer yells.

"No," the dispatcher replies. "Where are the guns?"

"In my hand," Brewer replies.

"I need you to put them down and put the safety on. (There are a few moments of silence.) Have you done that?"

"Yes," Brewer replies.

The dispatcher repeatedly tells Brewer the deputies are on there way with lights and sirens on and they will be there soon. Brewer tells the dispatcher to have them "bust the door down and come and get me. I'm in my bedroom."

He repeatedly tells the dispatcher, "Oh my God, I think I'm dying. I need to talk to my son."

Brewer also tells the dispatcher people are trying to get into his home, he's screaming, he hears people outside talking and voices. Then Brewer yells, "I'm going to shoot them through the door."

"No, put the guns down. Have you done that?" The dispatcher asks.

"Yes," he replies.

At this point the deputies haven't arrived yet.

"I will tell you when they get there. They'll have lights and sirens on," the dispatcher says.

A short time later Brewer is told deputies are at his home, there is much confusion, yelling and all that is heard in the background is a dispatcher saying she cannot hear the deputy's call on the radio. Shortly after, an officer down is reported. Later, Gary Howard, a trained hostage negotiator of the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department, gets on the phone and talks Forrest Brewer out of his home. Brewer was then taken into custody.

TBI Special Agent Callahan testified that the shots fired from Brewer's gun were in an upward trajectory, like Brewer was down on the floor, behind the bed.

Both Callahan and Investigator Scott Griffin with the sheriff's department testified that Brewer's drug tests taken at Cumberland Medical Center were negative. No drugs or paraphernalia were found in Brewer's home either.

Doctors Farooque and Craddock, both of Middle Tennessee Mental Health Institute, testified that Brewer suffered under a severe bipolar and delusional state of mind at the time of the incident.

Several stresses in Brewer's life gradually built up and led to the breakdown, Farooque said.

Brewer's home had recently been broken into, his 9-year-old son left to go live in Ohio with his mother and Brewer had suffered under depression on and off for the past 20 years.

During testimony Farooque and Craddock both revealed that in most cases they are testifying for the state prosecution and not the defense. On most occasions they testify that the person in question is not insane. This was not the case.

"Mr. Brewer was suffering from severe bipolar disease ... he did what he did defending himself. At the time he was defending himself ... he didn't feel it was wrong ... he felt he had to protect himself," Farooque said.

Later, during his evaluation and after being under medication, Brewer responded to the medication and was determined to be competent to stand trial.

Dr. Craddock said Brewer was an exemplary patient.

"He was very cooperative, forthcoming, remorseful and embarrassed for what he had done ... at the time (of the shooting) he was confused and defending himself."

Craddock also testified under cross examination by McKenzie that Brewer had no history of drug use or a criminal past.

Those are typical patterns for most criminals who may try to fake an insanity defense, Dr. Craddock explained. Both doctors testified that Brewer was observed 24/7 at the state mental hospital for 30 days during his evaluation.

Brewer, who has been on medication since the evaluation last year, will now remain in state custody at a mental institution for 30 to 60 days under physician's care undergoing a further mental health evaluation in order to determine a recommendation for his long-term mental health care and a treatment plan.

Ultimately, he will either be under a doctor's care as an inpatient, committed and hospitalized indefinitely, or as an outpatient, released only after he is stabilized and monitored closely through the observation of a psychiatrist. In either case, Brewer will need to be under the care of a mental health physician and on medication for the rest of his life.

The next hearing in order to review the doctor's recommendation for Brewer's treatment plan is scheduled for May 12.

After the trial Deputy Scott said he was pleased with the outcome of the case.

"It's what I expected to happen and I am pleased," Scott said.

Earlier he testified, "I at least want to see him get some help so this kind of thing never happens again to someone else."