Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

Opinion

October 22, 2012

Stumptalk: Shale oil and gas

CROSSVILLE — Recently there was a seminar given in a local community concerning the supposed environmental dangers of hydraulic fracture drilling, or “fracking,” used in the pursuit of oil and gas independence for America through innovative technology. I was tempted to attend, but I decided I was tired of hearing the same tired, scientifically unproven claims by the progressive environmentalists and government ideologues. For some unknown reason, energy independence for America is a threat to these people. Now the same tired environmentalists are once again in a tizzy. It seems the U. S. Geological Society (USGS) has announced that there is a 95% chance the Marcellus Shale formation that straddles the northeastern United States may hold a staggering 84 trillion cubic feet (tfc) of recoverable natural gas and a 5% chance it holds 144 tfc. The initial 2002 estimate was two tfc. Plus, the formation may hold anywhere from 1.5 billion to 6 billion barrels of natural gas liquids.

It seems that as the efficiency of the horizontal drilling technology evolves upward the results also increase. Plus, there are no taxpayer funded subsidies like there are for inefficient “green” energies like solar and wind. It is all private investment. Those who preach the gospel of “the world is running out of fossil fuel” are proven wrong yet again which further irritates them.

First the progressive environmentalists proclaimed natural gas to be the savior of the environment, but since so much has been discovered they now proclaim that it endangers the atmosphere and “fracking” endangers the water supply. Of course, there is no scientific proof to back their claims meaning we must take them at their word because they know so much more than we the unwashed know. Presently, some progressives in Congress are demanding that the “evil” Halliburton Corp, the inventors of the “hated” “fracking” technology, spell out exactly what is in the chemical used to “frack”. The “evil” Halliburton has already made public the mixture used. It is 90% water, 9.5% sand and 0.5% chemicals such as sodium chloride (table salt) and citric acid (citrus fruit juice). The progressives state that the waste water produced by “fracking” is loaded with “highly corrosive salts, carcinogens like benzene and radioactive elements like radium” all without any proof whatsoever.

The progressive arguments are like throwing mud against a wall hoping some will stick! Progressives also would have the average citizen believe that even though “fracking” occurs thousands of feet deep and drinking water aquifers are hundreds of feet deep with solid rock in between, this technology pollutes and otherwise disrupts the water supply. Progressives would have us believe that water not only flows uphill, but through solid rock too. Again the public is told to accept the progressive findings on faith because they have no proof.

Penn State University researchers, no friend of common sense for they preach the gospel of global warming, found that Marcellus Shale has already produced 44, 000 jobs in Pennsylvania and added $4 billion to the economy in 2009, plus 13,000 jobs in West Virginia and $1 billion to their economy. Further development of the Marcellus Shale should produce 300,000 new jobs and $25 billion added to the regional economy in the next ten years.

It all makes one wonder what other road blocks the progressives will dream up... and why.

 

1
Text Only
Opinion
  • Lion and the Lamb: Our war on women

    Jimmy Carter, who was president from 1977 to 1981, has had quite an impressive career as an author. His first book was published in 1975, and he has now written a total of 37 books, 23 of them after his presidency. He has set a high example for other past presidents, especially those who would like to find ways of being as beneficial to their nation as possible in the days after their retirement.

    April 22, 2014

  • Tidbits: "Selfie" destruction

    Technology continues to profoundly impact our daily lives, from the Heartbleed Bug that put hundreds of thousands of websites at risk of compromising customer usernames and passwords, to the little light that tries to tell me I'm about to run out of gas. Technology also impacts our language, with new words being created to describe the latest gizmo, gadget or trend.

    April 21, 2014

  • Stumptalk: It depends on what you mean

    A writer’s headline asks, “Do we really believe in democracy?” To which I answer, “What do you mean by democracy?

    April 21, 2014

  • LION AND THE LAMB: Four ways to demonstrate opposition

    Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan mention in their book, “The Last Week,” that Roman-occupied Palestine during the first century was under the control of Pontius Pilate who lived in the coastal city of Caesarea. Each year at the beginning of the Passover observance when Jews celebrated their liberation from Egypt, Pilate feared that they might be getting ideas about revolting from Rome, so he would come with additional soldiers on horses to beef up the Roman garrison in Jerusalem. 

    April 15, 2014

  • WE THE PEOPLE: Is it (new) party time?

    The Democratic and Republican parties are toast, according to Joe Trippi. The Republican Party is coming apart at its Tea Party seam. Democratic candidates struggle to celebrate President Obama’s health care successes, while responding to criticism of his failed promises, e.g., government transparency.

    April 15, 2014

  • TIDBITS: I found it at the library

    I have such fond memories of going to my local library as a child, searching through shelf after shelf and finding a book that would make me a Little Princess in World War II England, or bring me along as Nancy Drew solved the Secret in the Old Attic.

    April 14, 2014

  • STUMPTALK: The reason words have meaning

    If words did not have accepted meanings we would not be able to communicate effectively and civilized society would not exist.

    April 14, 2014

  • Lion and the Lamb: Do we really believe in democracy?

    The recent Supreme Court decision, McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission, is in a long line of debates about power in a democracy. Should power be in the hands of all the citizens or should it be in hands of those who have greater wealth and social position?

    April 8, 2014

  • We the People: Public education or business opportunity?

    A month ago, we followed the money trail left by a ‘think tank’ to the major sources funding an attack on our traditional, locally controlled public schools. We saw that a handful of billionaires provide major support to many organizations lobbying for change.

    April 8, 2014

  • Stumptalk: Just another government lie?

    There is a vault located in Fort Knox, Kentucky. It was built in 1936 and encased in 16 cubic feet of granite and 4200 feet of cement. The door is made of 20-inch thick material that is immune to drills, torches and explosives.

    April 7, 2014

Marketplace Marquee
Parade
Must Read
Section Teases
Seasonal Content
AP Video
SKorea Ferry Toll Hits 156, Search Gets Tougher Video Shows Possible Syrian Gas Attack Cubs Superfans Celebrate Wrigley's 100th Raw: Cattle Truck Overturns in Texas Admirers Flock to Dole During Kansas Homecoming Raw: Erupting Volcanoes in Guatemala and Peru Alibaba IPO Could Be Largest Ever for Tech Firm FBI Joining Probe of Suburban NY 'Swatting' Call U.S. Paratroopers in Poland, Amid Ukraine Crisis US Reviews Clemency for Certain Inmates Raw: Violence Erupts in Rio Near Olympic Venue Raw: Deadly Bombing in Egypt Raw: What's Inside a Commercial Jet Wheel Well Raw: Obama Arrives in Japan for State Visit Raw: Anti-Obama Activists Fight Manila Police Motels Near Disney Fighting Homeless Problem Michigan Man Sees Thanks to 'bionic Eye' S.C. Man Apologizes for Naked Walk in Wal-Mart Chief Mate: Crew Told to Escape After Passengers
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Weather Radar
2014 Readers' Choice