The man accused of holding up The Bank of Crossville last week made his first appearance in General Sessions Court Monday.

Michael Lynch, 38, of Lenoir City, TN, was arrested July 16 on a charge of aggravated robbery. Wearing orange Cumberland County Jail scrubs, Lynch requested a public defender and was ordered by General Sessions Judge Larry Warner to remain in custody. Judge Warner set a second appearance for Lynch in General Sessions Court for Thursday, July 23. At that time Judge Warner will address Lynch's request for a public defender.

Lynch also faces federal charges in the Crossville bank robbery and a July 8 robbery of a bank in Chattanooga.

According to the Crossville Police Department, a man entered The Bank of Crossville on Hwy. 127 North at 1:20 p.m. July 14. According to Capt. Mark Rosser, the man presented bank personnel with a note saying he wanted money and detailing the denominations wanted. While he did not show bank personnel a weapon, he did allude to being armed, Rosser said. A police report on the incident said $3,666 was taken from the bank.

The suspect then fled the scene and Crossville police began a search of the area.

Capt. Mark Rosser said Det. Kendall Hargis began developing leads Tuesday that eventually led to Lenoir City.

"That was through a hunch of Det. Kendall Hargis," Rosser said. "He had some outstanding efforts and had some ideas he started running down leads that took him to Lenoir City."

Hargis, Rosser and Lenior City Police Department Investigator John Sartin made contact with Lynch who had been identified through video surveillance. It was also discovered Lynch drove a white Chevrolet pickup that matched the description of the vehicle seen leaving the bank.

"Yesterday late afternoon, we checked his Lenoir City address one more time and saw a truck matching the description," Rosser said Friday during a press conference.

At that time, the investigators contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which was also investigating the robbery, and told them they had a solid lead.

Lynch was taken into custody and consent was given for a search of the residence and vehicle. Lynch was also questioned.

"After not a long interview, he did give up that he did commit these bank robberies due to the fact he owed money to drug dealers," Rosser said. Lynch reportedly told investigators he had become hooked on Oxycontin after a traffic accident in 2001.

While cash was found at the residence, Rosser said it was not as much as had been taken from the bank. Also, none of the money taken was marked and Lynch operates a landscaping business that could account for the money found, so law enforcement was unable to seize the cash.

At this time, Rosser said there is no evidence to tie Lynch to any other open bank robbery cases in the area.