Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

March 6, 2013

Death believed to be accidental

By Michael R. Moser
Editor

CROSSVILLE — A man whose body was discovered by family members last week most likely fell victim to high levels of carbon monoxide found in his home, according to a preliminary reports filed by the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Department.

The body of Jackie Howard Adams, 40, 7328 Hwy. 127 S, was discovered in a Red Fox Dr. residence where he had been staying. His wife and child found the victim’s body last Monday around 2:15 p.m., according to Cpl. Kevin Davis’ report.

Deputies and emergency personnel were dispatched to the 200 block of Red Fox Dr. where they were met by the victim’s wife who told them that she found her husband not breathing, sitting in a chair in the livingroom.

Davis wrote in his report that he noticed a strange odor when he entered the residence and discovered a small generator in a rear bedroom that had run out of gas.

Believing the source of the odor to be carbon monoxide from the generator, the Cumberland County Fire Department was dispatched to the scene and recorded a dangerous carbon monoxide level an hour after ventilation of the residence had been started.

Sheriff’s Investigator Jeff Slayton was called to the scene as was Cumberland County Medical Examiner Ben Gibson. Authorities are waiting for test results from the state Medical Examiner’s Office before issuing a formal ruling of cause of death in the case.

Slayton said yesterday there were no signs of foul play at the scene.