By Dorothy Copus Brush
+At Genesis, Austin and Philip Phelps are clearing the pines from an old field which was first cleared by John Myan about 37 years ago. It has been planted in corn in 1865 by Silas Myatt and lain idle since then. The old corn rows have been traced among the pine trees although some 33 years have passed since the plow and hoe did their last work. The pine trees stand very thick on the ground and are about 40 or 50 feet high. Some are as large around as a man’s body.
+The largest April snowfall on the Cumberland Plateau began on the evening of April 2 and continued all day April 3. The snow was 6 to 8 inches deep. Much of the fruit was killed and the strawberries suffered too.
+A contributor wrote about the many water sources in the vicinity. Big Laurel at Hale’s Mill is quite a small stream but in the rest of its course of nearly five miles, it receives the water of ten tributaries and in the last mile and a half its average width is from 60 to 75 feet.
The Caney Fork above the confluence has about the same volume of water but a few rods below it receives the water of West Fork and becomes a river nearly 300 feet wide. Where the road crosses it is one of the finest fords in the world.
Just below the ford is a perpendicular fall of six feet. This is where the Scarbrough Mill was built over 70 years ago. About a mile below the mill, the gulf commences. For nearly two miles it is quite narrow and the banks precipitous. Here Clifty Creek comes in from the west and the gulf grows wider. Here are the remains of furnaces found by early settlers.
+Promoting scenic Highway 127 across portions of Tennessee and Kentucky and a “350-mile Sidewalk Sale” was kicked off by the Governor.