Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

Area News

April 9, 2013

Looking Back

CROSSVILLE — April 1898

+At Genesis, Austin and Philip Phelps are clearing the pines from an old field which was first cleared by John Myan about 37 years ago. It has been planted in corn in 1865 by Silas Myatt and lain idle since then. The old corn rows have been traced among the pine trees although some 33 years have passed since the plow and hoe did their last work. The pine trees stand very thick on the ground and are about 40 or 50 feet high. Some are as large around as a man’s body.

+The largest April snowfall on the Cumberland Plateau began on the evening of April 2 and continued all day April 3. The snow was 6 to 8 inches deep. Much of the fruit was killed and the strawberries suffered too.

April 1921

+A contributor wrote about the many water sources in the vicinity. Big Laurel at Hale’s Mill is quite a small stream but in the rest of its course of nearly five miles, it receives the water of ten tributaries and in the last mile and a half its average width is from 60 to 75 feet.

The Caney Fork above the confluence has about the same volume of water but a few rods below it receives the water of West Fork and becomes a river nearly 300 feet wide. Where the road crosses it is one of the finest fords in the world.

Just below the ford is a perpendicular fall of six feet. This is where the Scarbrough Mill was built over 70 years ago. About a mile below the mill, the gulf commences. For nearly two miles it is quite narrow and the banks precipitous. Here Clifty Creek comes in from the west and the gulf grows wider. Here are the remains of furnaces found by early settlers.

April 1987

+Promoting scenic Highway 127 across portions of Tennessee and Kentucky and a “350-mile Sidewalk Sale” was kicked off by the Governor.

Text Only
Area News
  • rendezvous.jpg TSRA starts spring off with paddling trips

    About 150 members of the Tennessee Scenic Rivers Association (TSRA) recently gathered April 2-6 in Crossville at Camp Nakanawa for the Annual TWRA Rendezvous.

    April 19, 2014 1 Photo

  • Panel recommends using third-party billing for old EMS bills

    The budget committee approved hiring the same third party billing company to help go through older EMS ambulance service bills to resubmit them to help the EMS department get caught up with billing collections.

    April 19, 2014

  • Sales tax collections down

    Cumberland County Finance Director Nathan Brock reported to the Cumberland County Budget Committee that local option sales tax collections have fallen below budgeted projections for the 2013-'14 fiscal year.

    April 19, 2014

  • Motion to toss evidence in burglary denied

    A defense motion to have evidence seized by deputies searching for a man who fled warrant service thrown out failed when deputies testified they had oral permission from the defendant's son to search the residence the father and son share.

    April 18, 2014

  • donate life.jpg Organ donation gives man new lease on life

    Travis Hodges has a new lease on life, thanks to a selfless gift a young father made the year before.

    April 18, 2014 1 Photo

  • Fireworks, sign change get council OK

    While the April Crossville City Council meeting was generally a calm one, there were some fireworks on the agenda.

    April 18, 2014

  • quackers at the library.jpg Spring jamboree

    April 17, 2014 1 Photo

  • Suspect charged in Sportsman Club break-in

    A Crossville man has been arrested and charged in connection with the burglary of a shooting club's building in the county that occurred last week, according to arrest reports.

    April 17, 2014

  • Panel discusses auditing hotel/motel tax collections

    Commissioners on the budget committee discussed the possibility of auditing hotels and motels in the county regarding the collection of hotel/motel tax collection figures being down.

    April 17, 2014

  • Repent burglar must serve time

    Some defendants cry, because they get caught, and others are tearful with remorse. No one in the courtroom doubted Robert Killeen's sincerity when he apologized to his victim, his loved ones and supporters for committing crimes against an elderly widow, stealing the money her late husband left her.

    April 17, 2014

Marketplace Marquee
Must Read
Section Teases
Seasonal Content
AP Video
Raw: Orthodox Christians Observe Easter Rite Ceremony Marks 19th Anniversary of OKC Bombing Raw: Four French Journalists Freed From Syria Raw: Massive 7.2 Earthquake Rocks Mexico Captain of Sunken SKorean Ferry Arrested Raw: Fire Destroys 3 N.J. Beachfront Homes Raw: Pope Presides Over Good Friday Mass Raw: Space X Launches to Space Station Superheroes Descend on Capitol Mall Man Charged in Kansas City Highway Shootings Obama Awards Navy Football Trophy Anti-semitic Leaflets Posted in Eastern Ukraine Raw: Magnitude-7.2 Earthquake Shakes Mexico City Ceremony at MIT Remembers One of Boston's Finest Raw: Students Hurt in Colo. School Bus Crash Raw: Church Tries for Record With Chalk Jesus Raw: Faithful Celebrate Good Friday Worldwide Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Weather Radar
2014 Readers' Choice