Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

April 16, 2013

Looking Back

By Dorothy Copus Brush
Chronicle correspondent

CROSSVILLE — April 1898

+Fran Lewis of Erasmus while driving up the river hill at the Scarbrough old mill place, broke a wagon tire and had to leave the wagon. While getting the tire mended some sneak thief stole the breast chains and clevices off the wagon.

+This is the first time for many years that not a single school in the county is in debt. At the same time, every school had at least two months of school during the year. Of course, two months is very little, but there have been from three to half a dozen schools in the county that did not have any school some years. This year shows a marked improvement.

April 1916

+The actual work of locating the Dixie Short Route has commenced. C.E. Keyes with a force of four or five men started the preliminary location running north towards the Fentress County line. There will be more than one line surveyed before the final location is determined. One line will go to Creston.

+Brothers Milo and Nathan Lemert will plant nine acres in potatoes this week. They will use the new post planter that was purchased jointly by several farmers near town. The maximum speed of the machine is six acres a day but it is not expected that speed will be gotten out of it because of the land not being entirely free from stumps.

+Prof. F.G. Walton and wife have left for their home in Bay City, Michigan. Prof. Walton has had charge of the band during and since its organizing a few months ago. The work he has done in developing raw material into a respectable musical aggregation is very much to his credit. He will be sorely missed but the band boys will keep up their practice and hope to show much improvement by the time Prof. Walton returns next fall. William Guthrie will lead them till then.

April 1950

+April 29 is “DDT DAY” in Cumberland County and every citizen is urged to get a FREE container of this remarkable germ and pest killer.