Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

December 7, 2012

Officers hurt trying to stop fleeing driver

By Michael R. Moser

CROSSVILLE — Crossville Police officers attempting to assist county deputies who were trying to stop a man wanted on warrants who was fleeing from them suffered injuries to their hands last Friday morning, according to reports.

Treated in the emergency room at Cumberland Medical Center for wounds to their hands were Ptls. Curtis Phillips and Thomas Burnett. Both officers drove themselves to the hospital.

Arrested was Daniel Paul Sherrill, 33, 724 Poplar Dr., Crab Orchard, who is charged with reckless endangerment, driving under the influence, evading arrest and sixth offense driving on a revoked license.

He was also jailed on an attachment to serve 40 days in jail, and charging Sherrill with contempt of court that requires him to serve an additional ten days.

The incident started when Deputy Gary Green responded to a complaint of loud music at an address on Hall Rd. around 1 a.m. Friday. When he approached the address, a vehicle was driven away at a high rate of speed.

The chase started north of Crossville and traveled from Hall Rd. to McCampbell Rd. and onto Sunset Ridge. Officers stationed at McCampbell Rd. at Hall Rd. deployed stinger spike strips — metal devices with spikes attached, used to deflate tires on vehicles — but the driver continued his flight despite flattened tires, Green wrote in his report.

The pursuit continued to Tabor Loop where another officer attempted to get the driver to stop by blocking the road. The fleeing motorist left the road to avoid the road block and continued to Hwy. 127 N where additional officers attempted to block the road with their patrol cars without success.

When the vehicle entered the city limits, three Crossville Police units were stationed in the area of Circle K on N. Main St. where another attempt was made to disable the vehicle with stinger spike strips, but the strips became entangled in the wheel well and ripped the ropes attached to the strips from the officers' hands.

Sherrill reportedly stopped for a few moments, but when an officer approached his vehicle, he suddenly sped off, almost striking the officer, according to Green's report.

The driver then crossed through the median and drove on the wrong side of the road until he turned onto Elmore Rd. The chase continued onto Livingston Rd. to Miller Ave., onto West Ave. to Central Ave., then back onto Livingston Rd. to Keyes Rd., and eventually ended up at Parks St.

When Sherrill exited the vehicle, officers reported he struggled briefly with them but was quickly apprehended.

Sherrill will be required to serve the 50 days in jail before he is eligible to make the $25,000 bond that has been set on the new charges. He is to appear in Cumberland County General Sessions Court to face the new charges on Dec. 17.