Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

November 7, 2013

Man charged after fleeing scene of I-40 wreck

By Gary Nelson
Senior staffwriter

CROSSVILLE — The haul of a lifetime turned into a nightmare for a truck driver on Interstate 40 Tuesday morning after a man driving a pickup truck went out of control, cut in front of the 18-wheeler, causing it to veer off into the median and roll over.

The driver of the pickup truck then fled the scene. However, he was later captured 30 miles down the interstate and charged with several offenses.

The driver of the pickup truck, Dannie Laymon of Strawberry Plains, TN, was charged with driving under the influence, driving on a revoked license and leaving the scene of a personal injury crash, according to Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper Jacob Groce.

The driver of the 18-wheeler, Chad Goad of Jamestown, TN, was treated by Cumberland County EMS for minor injuries at the scene of the wreck and refused being transported to the hospital.

"I've been driving a truck for more than 20 years and this was the haul of a lifetime and this guy had to screw it up," Goad said.

Goad said as he was traveling eastbound on I-40 near the 323 mile marker, a blue pickup truck almost clipped the front end of his tractor-trailer, veered in front of him, causing him to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the pickup.

The pickup then cut in front of him again and slammed into a guardrail on the side of I-40, causing Goad to veer off into the median of the interstate and causing the tractor-trailer to overturn.

Goad said he was carrying a 56,000 pound load, a roll of steel.

Laymon, the driver of the pickup truck, then reportedly backed up away from the guardrail and fled the scene, driving eastbound.

He was captured shortly after at the 354 mile marker.

At least two other truck drivers witnessed the wreck and stopped at the scene to help Goad and give statements to THP officers.

"It's a miracle this wasn't a fatality. The driver (Goad) is very fortunate to be alive. It was a very serious wreck," Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper David Bush said.

After his initial investigation, Groce left the scene of the wreck and traveled to the 354 mile marker where Laymon was stopped and performed sobriety tests on Laymon.

Laymon was transported to the Cumberland County Justice Center where he was charged with the offenses.

One of the westbound lanes of I-40 had to be closed for hours so wreckers could set the 18-wheeler upright and take care of the load of steel.