Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

December 7, 2012

Taser used to stop fleeing suspect

Man wanted on host of warrants

By Michael R. Moser

CROSSVILLE — A man wanted on a host of charges twice fled from police in the same night, but the second flight was stopped short when an officer used his Taser to stop the man who was resisting officers.

Steven Lance Marshall, 50, 19357 Hwy. 70 E, is charged with aggravated burglary, assault of an officer, resisting arrest, two counts of evading arrest, probation violation, an attachment for failure to appear, an attachment to serve ten days in jail, violation of bond conditions and two counts of violation of an order of protection.

It all began shortly before midnight last Wednesday when officers responded to the Hwy. 70 E residence on a complaint from the suspect's ex-wife, Shelly, who complained that her ex-husband had come to her residence and would not leave, according to Deputy Avery Aytes' report.

When deputies located Marshall in the basement and approached, he fled through an outside door and into an adjacent wooded area.

Crossville Police responded with a tracking dog and followed the suspect toward Mt. Roosevelt Rd. but were unsuccessful in finding the suspect. During the search, a pickup truck near the residence was checked and found to be without a vehicle identification number plate. That truck was seized by police pending further investigation.

Nearly three hours later, deputies received a second call to the residence, and this time were waiting when Marshall fled out the basement door. Aytes wrote that he grabbed the suspect and the two fell down a set of rock stairs. Marshall reportedly then regained his feet and attempted to flee again and was tackled by Aytes.

As he continued to struggle and pull away, Cpl. Timothy Tutor activated his taser on Marshall. With the assistance of Sgt. Roy Kemmer, the suspect was then taken into custody.

The probation violation charge relates to Marshall serving 11 months and 29 days on probation from General Sessions Court on two counts of simple possession of a controlled substance.

The attachments are a result of Marshall's failure to appear in court to answer the charges of probation violation and the order of protection.

Bond was set at $27,000 and Marshall is to appear in General Sessions Court on Monday.