Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

November 20, 2012

Looking Back

By Dorothy Copus Brush
Chronicle correspondent

CROSSVILLE — November 1887

+Dave Wickersam who was among the new arrivals last week has already “notched his gun.” He got his first deer last Saturday — a beautiful doe by a “plumb center” shot. He was the recipient of many congratulations and was highly elated.

+Squire Deatherage sent us some Irish potatoes that can be seen at this office. They are of two varieties, the White Shadden and White Elephant. Of the former, one peck cut was planted by his son and thirteen and a half bushels were cut out. Of White Elephant he raised 36 bushels on a quarter of an acre.

+David Castleman has received from home a beautiful liver-colored pointer pup whose education will now claim his attention. “Topsy” is one of the most beautiful of her kind we have ever seen. She wears a pedigree of 17 generations and four white feet.

November 1938

+At the end of October the cornerstone for the library was laid in an impressive ceremony conducted by the Crossville Lodge No. 483 F.  & A.M. The Honorable Albert Gore gave a brief talk on how many things come from good books. In the box for the cornerstone were a coin of the date, papers, Bible and other things to enlighten those who may be present when the building is removed years hence.

+All interested Parent-Teacher Association members are invited to meet at the home of Mrs. E.C. Rowland November 1 at 2:00. This meeting is for the purpose of taking the correspondence course on Parent-Teacher procedures based on the 1938 Parent-Teacher manual. Each person is requested to bring a fountain pen.

November 1987

+Cumberland Medical Center is offering an Expectant Grandparents class. Those attending will learn about recent changes in obstetrical and infant care, the impact of new fatherhood and the importance of being supportive of the new parents. A guided tour of the obstetrical wing and nursery will be given.

+Big South Fork is slowly being “discovered” by lovers of the outdoors. The area was first planned in the 1960s and was funded in 1974 as a $103 million project.