Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

September 16, 2013

The 'rest of the story' on John Narramore

By Old Uncle Gib
Chronicle correspondent

CROSSVILLE — Hope you came back for “the rest of the story” on John Narramore's service during the Revolutionary War. We pick up with his third tour of duty in the South Carolina Militia, where they have just taken 30 British prisoners at the battle of Hanging Rock.

During the time Marshall's troops were working protection in North Carolina, Lt. Jonathan Welch was shot by a Torie by the name of Isaac Smart, while at his father's stable, and badly wounded. Welch was brought to his troops where he died. John Narramore was named lieutenant to replace Welch as this time, but was given no papers to this effect as they quickly returned to action.

William Stroud was taken by the British on the road from Salisbury to Augusta and was hung by the neck to the limb of a tree over the road at least twenty feet from the ground. Narramore was present when he was taken down and buried.

General Francis Marion, the “Swamp Fox,” Gen. Sumter, and Col. Marshall determined to resist to the last and save the South if possible. Principally volunteers were in the forces from the time the British took Charleston, until they left in December 1782. 

Col. Marshall's regiment (Narramore included) and Col. William Washington's Light Horse were ordered to reconnoiter down toward Camden, where they proceeded to Rugeley's Ford. They used a pine log made to look like a cannon to alarm the Tories in the fort and they surrendered, about 300 prisoners, without firing a gun. The prisoners were taken up to Warsaw settlements and delivered to Gen. Greene. A few days later the British evacuated Camden and Col. Marshall destroyed the British works. John Narramore was slightly wounded in the leg at the Battle of Eutaw Springs, stating he soon recovered after having the shot cut out. This was the last major engagement in the Revolutionary War in the Carolinas.

Narramore petitioned for his pension for his service as a lieutenant, but this was denied as he had no proof of being named to this rank. He stated that Gov. Rutledge was a prisoner in Charleston at the time and there was no one to give him papers stating his rank. He does not know of any living person who can verify his promotion. As others have encountered, paperwork after the fact is difficult.

He stated at least two years in service as a lieutenant in Capt. Benjamin Hales' Company at least eighteen months, two months as a corporal, and balance as a private. Narramore had to reluctantly give up claim to the pension as a lieutenant in order to get a pension for any service, so he settled for the pension of a private. June 2, 1854, this note is found, “5 of the 8 children of John Narramore have been paid at the rate of $60.00 per annum, from the 4th of March to the 11th of June, 1851, the sum of $5.00.”

• • •

Old Uncle Gib is a weekly historical feature published each Friday. Old Uncle Gib is a pseudonym that was used by S.C. Bishop, who founded the Chronicle in 1886. Bishop actively published the Chronicle until 1948.