Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

March 18, 2013

Satsuma Dr. improvements under estimate

By Heather Mullinix
Assistant editor

CROSSVILLE — Bids for improvements on Satsuma Dr. came in below the estimated cost, with the cost assessed property owners to be reduced accordingly.

Crossville City Manager Bruce Wyatt presented the bids for the project during the March 12 meeting of the Crossville City Council and recommended Hopper Excavating, LLC, at $152,915, below the estimated cost of $174,881.

"The bid price was significantly less than the estimated price," Bruce Wyatt said.

The city will pay 25 percent of the project and the remaining 75 percent is assessed property owners over a length of time determined by the council. Previous projects have stretched over five years. The new cost for the majority of property owners is $4,586.89 each, a reduction of $522.95.

Bruce Wyatt said the city did consider using city crews to complete the project that includes utility service lines and paved roads, which was estimated at $147,817.

"Utilizing city crews would only reduce the estimate by $121," he said. "Because of pending projects in the road and water departments, it is recommended the bid from Hopper Excavating be accepted."

The council approved the bid and budget amendments splitting the cost between the city's fund balance, general fund and water and sewer departments. Mayor J.H. Graham III moved to approve the bid and budget amendment, but to defer action on property owner repayment until the final cost was known. The motion was supported by Councilman Jesse Kerley and unanimously approved.

In other action, the council approved a bid of $7,000 for five days of instruction in National Fire Protection Association confined space rescue class for the Crossville Fire Rescue Department at the University of Tennessee.

A bid of $6,116 from Southern Athletic Fields, Inc. for athletic field conditioner was approved. This was actually the second low bid, but Bruce Wyatt explained the low bid did not exactly meet the requirements of the recreation department.

Ace Fence Co. was awarded the bid for fencing at the dog park at Centennial Park, with a low bid of $10,834.50.

The council also appointed Dennis Gregg to the Stormwater Board of Appeals to serve a five-year term. Graham appointed Gordon Atchley to the Crossville Regional Planning Commission.