Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

October 16, 2012

Domestic escalates into police shooting

By Michael R. Moser

CROSSVILLE — A rural Cumberland County man involved in a domestic dispute with an ex-girlfriend allegedly turned on a deputy dispatched to restore peace and ended up being fatally shot during the confrontation.

The victim is identified as David Leslie Fish II, 41. The deputy involved was identified as Jonathan Human, according to Cumberland County Sheriff's Department Chief Investigator Casey Cox. County records show he became employed as a Cumberland County sheriff's deputy in August 2010.

Around 5 p.m. Sunday, Human was dispatched to the 100 block of Spooner Dr. on a trespassing complaint that may have been related to an on-going domestic situation, according to reports.

One source told the Chronicle Monday that Human was getting ready to clear the call (complete his investigation) when Fish suddenly appeared in the basement of the complainant's home. The deputy attempted to take Fish into custody and a physical altercation broke out, escalating into violence that culminated in the deputy firing his service revolver, striking and killing Fish. Human was able to call in on his portable radio, reporting the shot and reporting that he had been injured. Ambulances were dispatched for both men and a helicopter was put on standby.

When responding officers arrived on the scene, they found Fish and Human lying on the basement floor. Human was transported to Cumberland Medical Center by ambulance where he was treated for injuries and later released on Sunday night.

The deputy has been put on administrative leave with pay during the investigation, which Cox said was standard procedure for an officer involved shooting.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation agents were dispatched to the scene and were assisted by sheriff's deputies. Because the TBI agent assigned to Cumberland County works with local law enforcement officers, two TBI agents from Middle Tennessee were sent to head up the investigation.

They remained on the scene until after 1 a.m. Monday, Cox said.

Court records show Fish has been arrested in the past, and in March of 2010, pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment and received a suspended 11-month and 29-day sentence. The charge stemmed from a domestic situation.