By Michael R. Moser
One of the three charged in the June 2012 armed robbery of a fast food restaurant manager as she walked to her car with a bank deposit avoided trial and pleaded guilty to the crime.
Robert Jay Gilleand, 27, along with Andrea Nicole Agusti and Ernest Otto Ketelhut, were indicted in October 2012 on a charge of aggravated robbery, a class B felony with a range of eight to 30 years in prison at 86 percent.
Gilleand last week pleaded guilty to robbery, a class F felony, and received a nine-year prison sentence to be served at 30 percent.
Investigators believe Gilleand was the gunman in the holdup and that Ketelhut drove the getaway car. Agusti, a former employee of the restaurant, was also indicted. Cases against those two are still pending.
Gilleand is being given credit for time served since Sept. 7, 2012.
On June 9, 2012, a 20-year-old assistant manager was walking across the restaurant parking lot with a bank bag holding the previous day's receipts, en route to the bank, when a gunman approached her from behind and following some expletives, grabbed the bank bag and fled on foot. He ran to a waiting vehicle parked behind Mr. Zip's.
A witness told responding city police officers that the man's voice sounded like that of a boyfriend of a former employee. Further investigation led to the identity of the three suspects.
All three were later taken into custody without incident.
Police said around $2,700 was taken in the heist, of which a small amount was recovered.