Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

Lifestyles

October 7, 2013

Pleasant Hill Ramblings: Remembering the 'founding mothers'

CROSSVILLE — The three “founding mothers” of the original hospital in Pleasant Hill (Alice Adshead, RN; Dr. May Cravath Wharton and Elizabeth Fletcher) looked on from the wall as some members of the Historical Society Board met in the conference room named in honor of Dr. Wharton at the Cumberland Medical Center in Crossville. A corner case filled with the medical tools of Dr. May’s 1920s practice adorns a corner. Other photos depict Dr. Wharton looking at the site of the Cumberland Medical Center and at the groundbreaking of the new health center in Crossville in 1949.

There were no doctors in Cumberland County when Dr. May Wharton moved to Pleasant Hill in 1917. The closest hospital was 85 miles from Pleasant Hill. In her autobiography, Doctor Woman of the Cumberlands, she recounts her many travels by mule or horseback through rugged terrain to meet the profuse medical needs of the mountain community. 

In August of 1921, Fletcher and Dr. Wharton rented a small six-room, two-story building from Frank Frey, which they called Sanex (Sannex in some accounts). They furnished it with two army beds they bought in North Carolina. It soon grew to a six-bed clinic and in November, they were joined by Alice Adshead, RN. A year later the Uplands Cumberland Mountain Sanatorium opened as an eight-bed hospital with room for more. A farm, farmhouse, cannery, laundry, storage building and water treatment facility soon covered the 200 acres around the sanatorium. A second floor, porches, and an annex were added to the building.

Five out clinics were held in various places in White and Cumberland counties. In 1937, the 30-bed Van Dyck Tuberculosis Sanatorium was built, and thereafter the original hospital was referred to as Cumberland General or “Old General.” Uplands referred to the growing medical campus, which included houses built for workers in Pleasant Hill.

The Uplands board of directors increasingly became aware of the need for a wider reaching hospital and health center with adequate facilities to serve the whole Cumberland Plateau. Raising of funds for this project began in 1942. After World War II, Dr. Wharton was instrumental in gaining federal, state and private funding for the modern Cumberland Medical Center, located in Crossville. It opened with 50 beds in March 1950.

For awhile the three hospitals and clinics were overseen by the Uplands board of directors with one coordinating administrator. Tuberculosis patients were treated at Van Dyck, persons suffering from arthritis, cardiac diseases and the chronically ill were treated at Cumberland General in Pleasant Hill.

The new Cumberland Medical Center (CMC) contained the essential diagnostic and therapeutic facilities organized to qualify for recognition and approval of the American Hospital Association and by the American College of Surgeons. In 1960 CMC added a 32-bed C-Wing and, with its continued growth, an administrator at each hospital was needed. By the late 1960s, each was governed by its own board of directors.

Eventually, the hospitals in Pleasant Hill were no longer needed and closed. CMC in Crossville has grown in leaps and bounds, adding personnel, equipment and departments. There are now 95 active practicing physicians on staff. They have recently purchased the surgery center in Crossville and will soon open another facility next to the Wellness Center in Fairfield Glade.

The Pleasant Hill Historical Society of the Cumberlands was formed in 1976 and took over responsibility for Pioneer Hall, the only remaining Pleasant Hill Academy building, developing it into a museum. The hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The well-known story of Dr. Wharton, “Doctor Woman of the Cumberlands,” and her two cohorts, Adshead and Fletcher, is featured in the rear of the museum on the first floor. The museum is closed for the season now, but group tours can be arranged at any time. Call 277-3111 or 277-5226.

1
Text Only
Lifestyles
  • 8-8 counseling center-play with dolls.jpg Christian Counseling Center celebrating 12 years

    Help the Christian Counseling Center of Cumberland County (C5) celebrate 12 years of community service. Dine at Ruby Tuesday of Crossville Aug. 8, 9 or 10. Print the flyer from the center’s website, www.cccotp.org, and give it to the server.

    July 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • A Time 4 Paws collecting shoes to help Soles4Souls in fight against global poverty

    Attention anyone with a closet! Those shoes no longer wanted are desperately needed to fight the human tragedy of global poverty.

    July 24, 2014

  • Parkinson’s therapies help patients live big and loud

    Parkinson’s disease has famously affected the lives of celebrities like Michael J. Fox and Muhammad Ali. But whether a person with Parkinson’s is world famous or a next-door neighbor, new therapies are offering hope for a better quality of life.

    July 22, 2014

  • 8-5 CATS in Palace-Carole Jarboe Cullen - waterfall.jpg Local art event planned at CATS

    Plans are being made for an event sponsored by the CATS Gallery at the Palace Theatre, 72 South Main St., Crossville, Tuesday, Aug. 5, beginning at 6 p.m. There will be refreshments, music and an opportunity to view a performance painting by artist Chuck Jensen. A live auction of donated art pieces will begin at 7:30 p.m. with the opportunity to "Be a Cool Cat — Buy Local Art." There is free admission, but it is advisable to get a free ticket at the CATS Gallery in the middle section of the Crossville Mall, at the Palace Theatre or from any participating member of CATS. During the event, original art items including paintings, photographs, and jewelry will be offered for auction, such as this expressive waterfall painting by Carole Cullen.

    July 22, 2014 1 Photo

  • Marriage licenses (Published July 23, 2014)

    July 22, 2014

  • fair park.jpg Heritage demonstrators welcome

    Most of Americans today never stop to think how different our lives would have been several hundred years ago. How many times a day do we wash our hands, and do we ever realize when we take those hot showers and lather up, the long all-day process our ancestors had to go through just to make a bar of soap? Not to mention packing water to the house and heating it up over a wood fire just to have a bath and wash clothes. Times are changing faster than ever.

    July 21, 2014 1 Photo

  • pleasant hill ramblings.jpg Mathes restores a bit of Pleasant Hill's history

    Miss Alice Adshead, RN, created a “wilderness trail” through the woods just down the hill from Uplands Sanatorium, the first hospital in Cumberland County once located on Main St. in Pleasant Hill.

    July 21, 2014 1 Photo

  • plateau gardening-hydrangeas5117.jpg Prune flowering shrubs: now or wait until February?

    Experts say, “Don’t prune woody-stemmed plants (shrubs, trees and some types of vines) after mid-August.” Do pay close attention to that advice. The purpose of this late-season pruning prohibition is to keep plants healthy.

    July 21, 2014 2 Photos

  • IMG_1850.jpg Burgess Falls offers a big payoff for a short hike

    At Burgess Falls, you can be out of your car and taking in the breathtaking view of the Falling Water River as it falls 136 feet in the third and final drop of the river with just a short walk through the woods.
    But even though the state park is close to civilization, this natural wonder retains its wild and scenic reputation.

    July 17, 2014 1 Photo 19 Links

  • 8-2 colonial dames.jpg Colonial Dames honors members with luncheon

    The John McKnitt Chapter Colonial Dames 17th Century held its May meeting at the home of Joyce Ernst. Those present were Sherry Sneed, Jessie Watts, Dot Brodhag, Kandy B. Smith, Lynn Constan, Donna Hamilton, Margaret Markum, Lana Davis, Sara Tripiciano, Jane Tavernier, Joyce Ernst, Kathy Wilson, Charlotte Reynolds, and Cheryl Chrobot. President Lana Davis welcomed the ladies and followed with the opening ritual.

    July 17, 2014 1 Photo