By Jan Boston Sellers
Working in the school’s classrooms across the county I often see posters hanging on the walls. The posters are often reminders and/or words of encouragement for the students who attend there. Recently, after reading a few of them, I decided to jot a few down as they were inspirational to me as well. My personal favorites are numbers three, seven, 13 and 16, although I really like each of them.
1. You always leave a footprint.
2. For success, attitude is as important as ability.
3. Bullying is never okay.
4. You never regret doing the right thing.
5. Ready, set, think.
6. Courage is doing right when others around you are doing wrong.
7. Make an effort…not an excuse.
8. Success is measured by effort.
9. The time is always right to do what is right.
10. Your choices. Your actions. Your life.
11. Your future depends on your present.
12. You are not finished when you lose, but when you quit.
13. Thinking first works better than thinking second.
14. Want to know the answers? Come to class.
15. We are judged by what we finish, not by what we start.
16. Don’t think twice, just be nice.
It is interesting how simple sayings or quotes can really resonate once you take the time to reflect on them. Obviously, I could list many others if only space allowed.
If you like planes and all things related to aeronautics, you will probably want to visit the Crossville Memorial Airport on Saturday. The city of Crossville’s annual fly-in is scheduled to take off at 9 a.m. and last until 3 p.m. The 2013 installment will include a large variety of airplanes on display, food and refreshments, inflatables for the children, helicopter rides, Warbird planes and registrations for a ride in a P-51 Mustang and a Huey H1 Helicopter.
At press time, the weather for this event is looking great: a sunny sky with a high in the upper 70s. Patrons are urged to bring their lawn chairs and umbrellas to Whitson Field. The city’s Memorial Airport is celebrating 79 years of flight. If you need additional information, call 484-5106.
Football resumes this weekend for both high school football teams. The Cumberland County High School Jets will travel to York Institute. The Stone Memorial Panthers will host Coffee County at home.
The University of Tennessee Volunteers will host South Alabama this weekend at Neyland Stadium after a heartbreaking loss (again) to those Florida Gators.
Fairfield Glade has been ranked among the top 50 best master planned communities in “Where to Retire Magazine.” Fairfield’s amenities such as multiple fishing lakes, wellness complex, swimming pools, groceries, medical offices, etc. all played a role in landing this nod.