Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN

January 6, 2014

Free Tax-Aide offered again in Cumberland County


CROSSVILLE — With the end of the holiday season and the start of the new year, it is time for the Tax-Aide volunteers to begin their in-class and online training for IRS certification to prepare tax returns.

These volunteers look forward to being able to provide free income tax assistance and free tax form preparation to low- and moderate-income taxpayers, with special attention to those ages 60 and older. However, all ages are welcome for this free service. 

Tax returns for 2013 will not be accepted by the IRS before the end of January. Therefore, paying to have a tax return prepared any earlier would have no advantage. The online AARP tax program will be updated and ready to use, so the AARP Tax-Aide centers will be able to start their work the first week of February.

The list below shows the local Tax-Aide sites where, for free, you can get help with your tax questions and with the preparation and e-filing of your return. Call to make your appointment or for any other information. The AARP volunteers want to thank the hosts for providing space for their service and for helping with appointments, and the Crossville site wants to thank First National Bank of Tennessee for their help with scheduling appointments at the library.

• Crossville: Art Circle Library on Thursdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call First National Bank at 707-3321 and ask for an appointment.

• Fairfield Glade: Conference Center on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 484-3722.

• Pleasant Hill: Community House on Wednesdays and Fridays from 1 to 4 p.m. Call 277-3096.

• Sparta (appointment only): Senior Citizen Center on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call (931) 836-3663.

• Tansi: Hiawatha Community Center on Mondays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Call 788-2808.

Soon the mail will bring documents needed to prepare your tax returns, so now is the time to make a place to file these forms, along with your copy of last year’s tax return. Being organized will save you time and make the correct preparation of your return easier. So, please find your 2012 tax return, put it with the 2013 tax forms that you receive in January, then bring them along with your photo identification and your social security number verification when you come to your appointment.